Today, I received my 2 1/2 gallon water crock, so of course I had to start my continuous brew system tonight. I brewed 2 Kombucha Brooklyn tea bags in 2 quarts of boiling water (reverse osmosis water in the electric tea kettle). I did this directly in the new water crock and then realized I probably shouldn’t have put boiling water in there. Oh, well. If the system works as intended, I’ll never need to add boiling water again.
I added 2 cups of Zulka Morena Pure Cane Sugar. When it had dissolved, I added ice and additional RO water until there was a little more than 2 full gallons of sweet tea–a few inches from the top. I then covered the crock with cloth that I held in place with the plastic ring that came with the crock.
After dinner, Lauren and I swiped the original B1 mother from the batch I started on Friday (3/22). (Lauren had not yet had the privilege of meeting a SCOBY in person.) I dropped the SCOBY in the water crock tea mixture and it sank. I’ll check in a day or so to see if she emerges.
About 10 minutes later, I realized I hadn’t added any starter kombucha. D’oh! Since I didn’t want to disturb my existing batches (any more than I already had), and they’re not yet fully mature, I added a bottle of the kombucha I’ve been buying from Sandbox Coffee House. And now I wait. From what I understand, this batch will take about 10-14 days to finish brewing.