My First Batch of Sauerkraut

IMG_5151

I started my first batch of sauerkraut on Saturday afternoon, anxious to start using the fermentation crock that I had ordered for Lauren for Valentine’s Day.

IMG_5152

I cut up 3 heads of cabbage, but now I’m wishing I had cut up 4 or maybe even 5. I just wasn’t sure it was all going to fit, but now (just 5 days later), the crock is only about 1/2 full.

I used about 3 tablespoons of sea salt and sprinkled it over about every 1/2 head of cabbage just as I was adding it to the crock. I lightly pressed the cabbage down, as I filled the crock, and only pressed more firmly once the crock was full.

Then, I re-read the recipe, which indicated I should probably have been pressing more firmly, as I went along, to start releasing the moisture from the cabbage. I then placed the fermentation weight stone over the cabbage.

I checked it a few times over the first 24 hours, waiting to see if the moisture (brine) would cover the cabbage. It did not, either because I didn’t compress the cabbage enough, or the cabbage was dry or old. So, following the recipe, I added more salt and water; this took about 1 tsp salt in 1 cup of water to bring the level to the top.

I’ve been peeking at the mixture every day and taking a whiff to try and gauge its progress. Not really sure what to expect, so I’ll be pulling some out on Saturday (one full week) to try it.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: